Saturday, February 5, 2011

Oatmeal Cheese Biscuits

After buying store bought baby biscuits for months, it suddenly hit me, why don't I try making my own biscuits. Since I love baking, why not just tweak around some old recipes and I came up with this one. It's simple, don't require much ingredients and the only thing u need to do is mix everything in a food processor. No fancy mixers or anything like that. The only thing I really wanted to use in this recipe is whole wheat flour. Unfortunately, I can't find any supermarket in Jakarta that sells whole wheat flour so I used organic unbleached all purpose flour instead.

I cut the dough into rectangles since it's Saturday and I just can't be bothered to cut it using cookie cutter. hehehe...


Oatmeal Cheese Biscuits

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/4 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup grated cheese (I use Gouda, but any kind of old hard cheese will do)
100 gr cold butter, cut into cubes
100 ml milk, cold

1. Preheat the oven to 175 C
2. In a food processor, ground oatmeal until it become fine powder. Sift the ground oatmeal together with flour and baking powder into a bowl.
3. Put flour in a food processer, add cold butter, little bit at a time and pulse until it resembles a coarse meal.
4. Add cheese, and continue pulsing. Pour milk, a little at a time until mixture turn into a ball.
5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment papers until it's about 5mm thick, and put it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
6. After 20 minutes, cut the dough into bite size pieces using knife, or various shapes using cookie cutter.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden and crunchy.

Tip: if using cookie cutter, dip the cutter into flour so the dough won't stick to your cookie cutter.

2 comments:

  1. I had some Friulano in my fridge that was starting to go off, so I made a batch of these. They are really yummy and smell amazing! Thank you for sharing the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you enjoy the biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete